Sunday 18 October 2015

2 Letters from Students - 10 years later...

Positive:

Mr. Dickson,

      You were my favourite math teacher in high school because you taught the subject with charisma and made the lessons fun.  Math was always my favourite subject and you helped me understand just how powerful it can be as a problem solving tool when used correctly.  Furthermore, you volunteered your time after class to outline some potential mathematics-oriented career paths for those considering post-secondary degrees.  I ended up studying Actuarial Science as an undergrad (where many courses expanded on topics from your Data Management class) and now I'm working in the property/casualty reserve department at Manulife in Toronto.  Thank you for inspiring me and setting me on a path to a rewarding career!



Negative:

Mr. Dickson,

      As an artist, I always struggled with mathematical concepts and logical thinking.  You were a tough marker that emphasized not only the correct steps/answer, but proper form (something that I also had difficulty understanding).  Even though your lessons were organized, you catered them mainly to the keener students and I found many of the challenge problems inaccessible without many hours of practice and/or help from outside tutors.  I know that you're only one man (vs. a class of thirty) but not everyone shares your passion for math; I would have been more interested in learning if you incorporated some interdisciplinary (e.g art) ideas into your lessons.  It was a real struggle to pass your class; I hope that you consider some of my suggestions to help reach more non-math students as you refine your teaching techniques.    

   

No comments:

Post a Comment